How to avoid losing your temper when your baby won’t stop crying.

21:54


As a parent to a young baby, there have been times when the persistent crying or lack of sleep really started to get to me, even to the point of nearly losing my temper. So I thought I would share some steps I took to avoid losing my temper and make things that bit more bearable when times were tough.

1. Have someone else with you - when dealing with a fussy or upset baby, it tends to be easier if you have someone else there with you to share the load. You can keep each other company, lighten the mood and take turns to give the other a break.

2. Go outside - for a lot of babies the motion of the pushchair or a car ride soothes them and sends them to sleep, which is particularly useful if your little one is overtired. This is also a helpful one because it gets you out of the house, helping you feel a little less stir crazy and allowing you to get some human interaction.

3. Put something on in the background to take the edge off - whether this is the television, a film or your favourite music, putting something on for you to listen to or watch can really take the edge off. The background noise may also soothe baby, providing it isn’t too loud or dramatic as this may have the opposite effect.

4. Stop worrying about doing anything else - at the end of the day your baby is the number one priority so concentrate on them and forget about doing anything else. If you constantly worry about what else you need to get done, this will put more pressure on yourself. Instead, concentrate on this one task with baby - everything else can be done once baby is settled.

5. Go to a quiet room, with no one there and nothing interesting - I know this contradicts everything I have written above but if you have tried all of these techniques and baby still won’t settle, it may be that they are overstimulated. I also find that sometimes, if it starting to get too much, having a number of other noises in my ear can overwhelm me and make me feel worse. At that point I retreat to the quietest room I can find and just concentrate on baby.

6. If all else fails and you start to feel like you can't cope, put the baby down on the floor and go into another room. Baby will be perfectly safe on the floor (make sure there is nothing baby can grab or pull over in the area) and by moving in to a different room, this will give you the chance to clear your head, get yourself a cuppa and get a bit of a break before going back to baby.

I know that some of these tips contradict each other but what works for one person may not work for another. Go through these tips one by one and see what works for you - or if you know of another tip, let me know in the comments below!

We all know that there can be difficult times when there is a baby in the house but take steps to make it more bearable for you and the household will feel happier overall.


I have linked this post up on the Post Comment Love linkup on the VeViVos blog. Check it out here!

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. A very sensible post. I remember when I was pregnant with my first many years ago another mum warned me there would be a time I would put my screaming baby non too gently in their cot and walk away and that was a good thing to do sometimes! She was right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son was a massive cryer when he is a baby. Sometimes yes it can be a bit overwhelming and what I do is step away a bit. Just to to take a breather. #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great tips! My mummy needed 'time-out' when I was little and having a bit of space to clear ones head can work wonders x Taking turns with daddy helped as well. I loved white noise when I was little and the hoover sound used to calm me. My mummy worn me in her sling and used to do housework! ;) #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hoover always makes Bo cry haha but we have recently started carrying her round in her carrier so I can get on with bits and bobs! It's really useful!

      Delete
  4. These are all such great tips. It is so hard to deal with something like this - especially when you are sleep deprived too! Staying calm really is the key. Thanks for linking to #PoCoLo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sleep deprivation makes everything just that bit harder doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. These are great tips. It is so hard to deal with a persistently crying baby. It was one of the toughest things I have done and one of the things I am proudest of. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bo doesn't cry so much now but when she was younger she suffered badly with colic - coping with it is definitely something to be proud of!

      Delete