A Night in the Life of Me

22:12


After 11 months of being a mum, you would have thought I had got used to waking up multiple times in the night. In fact, according to a lot of online sources, by now I shouldn't have to worry about waking up at night because she should have slept through from 6 months onwards (yeah, right!). 

In fact this couldn't be further from the truth. Now that she is older, it actually feels worse than when she was a newborn! I put this down to the accumulated sleep deprivation and the irregularity of her waking times due to teething and the sort. At least when she was a newborn you expected to be awake several times in the night, whereas when they are older they seem to lull you into a false sense of security by sleeping through for a week and then revert back to waking up every hour.

It occurred to me on one of these sleepless nights that there is a lot of pressure on mums to have their babies sleeping through by a certain age, for them to be going down and falling asleep by themselves and to not need any bottles until the morning. But, in all honesty, this just doesn't happen (I know it does for some, but not everyone!) and so, as a sort of example of what it can actually be like, I thought I would document a typical night for me and Bo.

As a little bit of background information - Bo currently does not fall asleep on her own but, instead, falls asleep having cuddles with either me or her Dad. She normally has three drinks of milk a night which we believe is mainly down to habit and have started reducing, bit by bit, in order to try and help her go through the night without needing any milk. She is also currently teething like crazy which makes her find it difficult to go back to sleep.

So here we go...


--------------------------------------------------------------

8.00pm: Bo goes down to bed fairly easily after being cuddled on either mine or Daddy's shoulder. It is very rare that she fights this one and she slips into a deep sleep, making her easy to put down.

9.30pm: The first waking. This can normally be settled by cuddles only and does not require any milk. Five or ten minutes later she is back in bed, snoring away. I am still feeling relatively fresh by this point and find it easy to deal with, after all it's just cuddles and who doesn't love those!

11.00pm: The second waking. This time it takes a bottle for her to settle. As we are currently trying to reduce the amount of milk she drinks at night she struggles slightly to go back down. Her teeth are also hurting so we bring out the Bonjela which helps. I am flagging now - my mind and body are tired, it's past my bed time and, if I haven't already, I am looking forward to heading to bed and curling up under a warm duvet. This makes me feel a little more pressure to get her back to sleep and can result in slightly frayed nerves if it takes a while. As Daddy is still awake at this point, he steps in to help if I struggle and, after a bit of time, she goes back to sleep.

3.15am: The third waking and, again, another bottle. I take a drink of water to try and wake me up before going to get her. By this time I am feeling exhausted - my eyes struggle to stay open, my head is fuzzy and I feel like I am physically staggering around the house as I prepare her bottle. I have to keep my mind as active as possible when feeding her for fear of falling asleep there and then. I can't help but feel irritable and annoyed at the fact that I have to get up at this time of night and do my best to calm myself down, as I know it's doing neither of us any good. By this time, everyone else in the household has gone to bed so the house is quiet. Again, she struggles a little to go back to sleep, but the quiet and darkness of the room soon overcome her and she slips back into a deep sleep.

7.00am: It's morning. I feel tired and very dehydrated which means that I wake up with a headache. Bo is feeling refreshed - this has been a reasonably good night for her - and chatters away to me, smiling as I pick her out of her cot. Her bubbly persona brightens my morning, making me feel that bit better and we head downstairs to begin the day. To help myself feel more awake I immediately get a fresh drink of water, take some vitamins and grab some cereal whilst she happily watches Milkshake TV. Once I have some food in me, I start to feel more human and we start the day properly.

--------------------------------------------------------------


As I mentioned previously, this is an average night for me and Bo and can change depending on the circumstances - sometimes she is awake every hour and others she sleeps for a good chunk of time.

I must admit, I am looking forward to when she sleeps through the night so that we can claim just a little bit of sleep back ourselves. But, for now, I will continue to get up throughout the night and make sure I keep taking steps to help myself feel as awake as possible the day after!

So, how about you? Do your little ones sleep through? If so, how long did it take and what did you do to help?

I have linked this post on the following wonderful linkies:
- PoCoLo on the Life At 139a blog
- Family Fun on the Diary of an Imperfect Mum blog
- Sunday Stars on the Mini Ventures blog.

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. Ahh! I remember my girls waking during the night...My youngest was over a year old before she slept right through....Thankfully now my girls are older and now it's a case of struggling to get them up in the morning. Hang on in there x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment - it's nice to hear I'm not the only one with a (nearly) one year old who still doesn't sleep through. Even though you know it happens sometimes, you still can't help but wonder what is going wrong! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hun, I remember that feeling all my friends seemed to have perfect babies that slept and I was up twice a night and then my little man woke between 4 and 4.30 and that was it he was awake. My day began at 4.30 every day until he was around 26 months. I wish I had some pearls of wisdom but I don't. As parents all we can do is our best. I have a friend who said white noise helped with her little one. They left a radio on very low. Snatch some sleep when you can. x Thank you so much for linking up with #FamilyFun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was an early time for him to get up! I don't know how you did it! I might give the white noise a go, it's been something we have been considering but never set up. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  4. Both mine were over a year when they started sleeping through. Just keep at it and it will get better. It defintely feels worse as they get older, I think because it is less predicable.Good luck! #FamilyFun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the sleeping through will come sooner rather than later! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it gets worse as they get older. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  5. I just want you to know you aren't alone...my baby is 14 months old, and that looks about like her schedule. I do co-sleep and breastfeed still, so it makes it a little easier on me, as I don't have to actually get out of bed when she wakes up. Most of my other kids started sleeping through the night between 12 and 18 months, so don't worry--the end of night waking is in sight! Hang in there, mama. You are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I do wish we could co-sleep as that would be easier but myself and my husband are such deep sleepers that its just not an option! I am looking forward to when the night waking is gone! x

      Delete
  6. Oh bless you. It really does get easier although I do remember at the time thinking that I would never get sleep again. I had twins when my eldest was 13 months so sleep became very very preciuos. Thanks for linking up to #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Having a 13 month old and twins must have been so difficult - I have a huge amount of respect for you!

      Delete
  7. Afraid I can offer no advice or comparisons, but it sounds tough for you all. And the sleep deprivation definitely seems to affect mums and dads more than the little ones doesn't it? Hope she gets the hang of going through the night soon, thanks for linking up to #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it definitely does! Though babies apparently have a shorter sleep cycle to adults so they wake up at the end of their sleep cycle, instead of the adults who get woken up half way through. Maybe that's why it hurts so much! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
    2. Ah, I never knew that - but it does make sense.

      Delete