Why Do I Blog?

14:00


You may (or may not) have noticed the slight gap in posts on this blog and that has been due to life getting busy around here all of a sudden and something just having to give, even if just for a little bit. 

But we have finally got to that point where I am missing my outlet and things have eased up enough for me to consider blogging here again.

One of the predominant things that I have been thinking about since being in the position to blog again is why I blog. In the past I have blogging for a number of different reasons - for an outlet since I have been staying at home with Bo, to offer advice and support to other people in a similar situation to me and, yes, perhaps to raise a little bit of money.  

I think it is very easy, when blogging, to put pressure on yourself to blog what other people want to hear about and on a regular basis in order to keep other people interested in reading and push the blog further, especially if you are looking to make an income through it.

However, I think over the past few months - and perhaps even still - that pressure to produce regular interesting content has become too much and has also contributed to the need to step away from the computer and just live my life for a while. 

So now that I am back at my laptop, ready to share with you again, I think it is time to re-evaluate why I blog and the best way to go about that is by looking at what keeps me coming back and what drives me to keep blogging.

It's because I enjoy producing the content and, most importantly of all, it provides me with an outlet and a connection to lots of other mums. As I mentioned in my previous post I am a slightly nervous mum and that can quite often result in me feeling isolated and lonely, and can also feel a lot like all I do, when not spending time looking after Bo, is housework.

So by reaching out here, it gives me somewhere to share what we are doing, as well as the opportunity to make friends who are in a similar position to me and to also have something else to do other than housework. 

In keeping with blogging as an outlet and a hobby, and to avoid putting too much pressure on myself, I have also come to the conclusion that my blogging schedule will go out of the window. I am going to blog what I like, when I like/when I have the inspiration or topic to talk about. After all, what is the point of taking the joy out of blogging by adding pressure when all I want to do it for is for enjoyment?

Perhaps the blogging schedule is something that I can revisit later on, but we will have to see what life brings.

So, tell me, why do you blog? Do you have a schedule for posting and how do you cope with any pressure that this may put on you?

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. I recently had to take a bit of a blogging break and step away from my computer to think about everything and just live life, blogging can be a bit overwhelming at times and I found that I was putting too much pressure on myself to create content every few days that other people loved and it took away my passion, but I blog because I'm passionate about it. I love writing more than anything in this world and it's my escape from reality x

    www.taintedblues.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree - this was what was happening to me too! I think, if you enjoy something, you should take a break away now and again if it starts to take the joy out of it. Thanks for your comment! x

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed reading your post because as a very new blogger (1 month in, yay!) I am realising it is a lot of work, more so if you do it because firstly you love it and secondly you actually do want to connect with people. I don't have much of a schedule but I have tried to keep a post happening about every 10 days but I have been trying to engage with other bloggers as some of the people I have met have been lovely and I love reading what others have to say. But like you said you also have your life too! It's a good outlet but I'm new so we will see in another few months. Hope you keep enjoying it and find the balance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your first month of blogging! I find that a good way to get involved with other people, even if you haven't posted for a while, is to connect with others on Twitter and comment on others blogs. Twitter chats are also brilliant and I have met a lot of people that way. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get to many of the chats at the moment due to Bo being up and about but perhaps some time in the future! x

      Delete
  3. I think your plan is really great. I blog for the same reasons - the creative outlet, the connection with others & I'd love to build it into a business. Because of the last reason I have been working hard to stick to a schedule. I have broken it many times & reevaluated many times. The longer you blog, the faster & easier things become & the more you get done in less time. It all comes together. Take your time with it & keep it fun! Thanks so much for sharing with #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally wanted to make my own blog into some kind of business however I have now come to the conclusion that now is not the time for me - due to life getting busier! I think I will wait and keep it going steadily until life has quietened down a little bit. Good luck with your schedule and business ventures! x

      Delete
  4. Hi, I'm not sure I've visited before but the post title tempted me! Thanks for your honesty. I feel like a slave to a schedule...I don't think you can ever run out of things that need doing with a blog and there lies the danger. Good on you for reevaluating everything and having a bit of time to see how you want to proceed. Stats are one thing but if you suddenly feel pressured or arent enjoying it or feel bound by a schedule then that's not why you wanted to blog in the first place, is it. We blog because we love it...We want to be in charge of our blogs not them in charge of us. I hope you strike the balance you are looking for and when you do, there will always be people who want to listen and who are waiting for the valuable piece of advice you are ready to offer. #bloggeclubuk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Came across your blog via #PoCoLo this week and saw this older post which grabbed my attention. I totally totally feel the same way about blogging. I love blogging - it's a great way for me to connect with others, it's fun to write, sometimes it helps me and sometimes I hope my posts help others. That said - life is busy so I've had to accept blogging as and when I can. That might mean I don't post frequent enough to be a big blogger who earns a living from it, but after a little soul searching a while back about whether I should stop and it was my HB who said 'but you enjoy it'. He's totally right. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this dilemma! And perhaps further down the line we will both have more time to blog and put together a schedule - just because we don't have one now doesn't mean we never will!

      Delete