Protecting my children and internet security

16:31

A niggling worry in the back of my mind has meant that there haven't been many blog posts on the Me, Bee and Bo blog as of late. In fact, it has resulted in my Twitter account being closed down for a small period of time as well as the other social media outlets linked to this blog.

I have been worried about protecting the identity of my children, internet security and whether I am comfortable with the amount of information I have been sharing about my family on the internet. And, in line with what I have always said, the moment that you aren't quite comfortable with what you are sharing on the internet, you should stop. 

Which is what I did.

But I missed this blog, the memories and the community around it. I have put a lot of work in to this blog over the past couple of years and I missed the creative outlet. I even tried to start a new blog with the idea of keeping it completely anonymous but something inside me just didn't connect with it, so it didn't go far.

So, after a fair bit of "soul searching" and thinking about what I was actually comfortable with sharing - I'm back and so is the blog.

I'm not saying that that slightly niggling worry has gone away - it is definitely still there - but, instead of shutting everything down altogether, I am going to be taking steps to ensure that my children's identity is kept safe whether that is by restricting the types of images that will be posted on the blog, or by regularly ensuring there is no connection between this blog and our real names or address.

I know that it is going to be a juggling match between trying to protect my family and making sure that the blog content doesn't go stale and disconnected, but I feel that this is the best option at this time.

On a positive note, the Twitter account has been opened again and can be accessed here. Feel free to visit and send me a cheeky Tweet - it's a bit quiet starting a Twitter account from scratch!

I have added to this post to the following lovely linkies:
- Pick'n'Mix Fridays on the A Cornish Mum blog
- Brilliant Blog Posts on the Honest Mum blog.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I totally understand what you mean! I am always thinking about whether I share too much and I've gone through old blog posts and deleted them before because of it. I've settled on using nicknames for my daughter, not showing her face on my public social media, and not 'checking in' to places that we visit. Hoping that's a good balance for now. I guess it's a personal thing but it's a hard call to make! Glad you get to enjoy blogging again :) #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea - I think I am going to be doing something similar. It's not such a big thing when they are babies but now Bo is growing up, she's more recognisable!

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you mean, I have had the same struggle with myself before. That's a lot of why my blog isn't especially about my children. That and the fact that I worry about bullying as they are almost 11 and 12 now. I think it is all about drawing a line that you won't cross, deciding what you are willing to share and what you feel should be protected.

    Thanks for linking up to #PicknMix lovely

    Stevie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, bullying is definitely something to consider for slightly older children - I hadn't thought of that!

      Delete