5 Tips for making going back to work easier

23:07


If you follow my Twitter, you may have seen that I went back to work full time this week just 6 weeks after Bean was born. The short period of maternity leave was due to a number of factors, including the fact that we rely on my income to run the house and that I had only recently started back at work after being away on maternity leave with Bo.

I have enjoyed being back at work - I enjoy my job, it gives me a sense of achievement and the social interaction that I didn't get when I was a stay at home mum last year. However, I must admit that it has been a little nerve wracking - not to mention guilty inducing - going back when Bean is so young and also leaving my husband with two young children.

There are a few things that I have found help me feel better about being away from my family for the majority of the day, especially in the first couple of days when I wasn't quite sure how we would handle our new way of life. So I thought I would share them with you all, in case you are going through a similar time yourself.

1. Keep in regular contact with the care giver.
Whether this is your partner, parent or a nursery, staying in contact with the care giver who has your children during the day and asking for regular updates on their progress, will help to put your mind at rest. Even better, get them to send over photographs of things that your children do throughout the day.

Granted, they might be having a bit of a difficult day and your little ones might be running them ragged but just hearing that everyone is alive and well can really help you to relax.

2. Turn off your phone from when you get home to when they go to bed each night.
Use the time in the evenings to concentrate on spending as much time as you can with them - whether that time is spent cuddling up together or running round the house wildly. By turning off your phone, this will help you concentrate on spending time with them and take away the distraction of your screen lighting up whenever you get a text.

Although you may be tired from the day at work, the quality time you spend with them - even if it is only a few minutes worth - will help stop you feeling like a bad parent and keep you feeling connected to your children.

3. Put a photograph of your children in your office.
Whether you share a large office with other members of staff, or have an office of your own, putting a photograph of your children around the area that you work in acts as a reminder of why you are working.

It also helps to keep you linked to the family - you are not a separate entity when you are at work, you are still part of the family but in a different building.

4. Start back on a date half way through the week.
By doing this it means that you will only be working for a couple of days during your first week back, instead of a full week - easing you more gently into the idea of being away from your family and giving you the chance to find your feet as you get back into the world of work.

It also has the same benefits for your children - giving them a taster of what is to come, but easing them in slightly more than if you immediately started back for a full week.

5. Give yourself something to look forward to.
Whether its by booking a family holiday for later on in the year, or just planning something fun to do with the kids at the weekend - give yourself a family event to look forward to. For me, this gave me some guaranteed family time to look forward to, helping me to feel better about being away from them.

These are just a few of the things that I found helped me to overcome the guilt of going back to work after having my second child.

Did you find anything in particular that helped you in the transition from being at home to going back to work? If so, please share it below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments