A day in the life of... a family of four.

16:03


A good year or so ago, I wrote a post describing the day in the life of me.. a nervous mum. Well, a lot of things have changed since then and so I thought I would give you an insight in to how we live now and what a normal weekday can look for us.

6am: Time to get up, if I am lucky. If I'm not then we will have been up with baby boy since around 5am and will have given up long ago on any hope of getting him back down in time to sneak one last half hour of sleep before the day begins.

I give myself half an hour to have some breakfast and sit with Bee and Bean before having to get dressed for the work day. This also gives Bee the opportunity to get ready for the day and do anything he wouldn't be able to do if he was on his own with the two kids.

6.30 - 7am: Time to get clean, dressed and throw on some makeup. How much effort I put in to this will depend upon how tired I feel that morning. If I'm feeling good, I will straighten my hair, put on a full face and wear a nice dress or something similar. If things are not so good, you are lucky if I put a brush through my hair, slap a bit of eyeshadow on and find the comfiest (yet still smart, of course) work clothes I possibly can, for the work day equivalent of a slobby day.

7am - 7.30am: Time for Bo to get up, get dressed and fed for the morning. Bee tends to take the lead on this whilst I hold on to Bean and try to stop him from wiggling right out of my arms.

This half an hour gives us just enough time to get Bo ready and spend some time cuddled up on the sofa before I leave, which I feel is really important as I will not be seeing them again until an hour or so before their bedtime.

7.30am: Time to go to work. Hugs and kisses all round and I dodge around the crying/tantrumming children to make my way towards the car. 

8am - 5.30pm: The standard work/staying at home day. I spend my day doing a variety of different tasks, generally rushing around trying to get everything done and generally losing track of the time. Bean settles in to entertaining and feeding both children, whilst trying to break up any fights (yes, Bean has only been around for 6 months and there are fights already!), combat tantrums and stop Bean from ripping out his sisters curly hair.

5.30 - 6pm: On a good day I am home around this time. On a long day I can be back as late as 7pm, depending on what has been going on at work. On my way home, I will nip in to the local Tesco, if necessary, to get any bits we need for the rest of the week, and then make my way straight home.

Tea is put in to the oven pretty sharpish once I am home and whilst waiting for that we spend some time with the kids, usually playing hide and seek or just giving much needed cuddles. I will feed Bean his puree for tea time which he will get all down him and then most likely smear across his face using his sleeve.

6.30 - 7pm: Bath time. We will usually take one child each and bath them. Unfortunately I tend to get to bath the little boy and this has become especially difficult over the past few months. He takes great delight in kicking his legs as vigorously as possible, soaking the floor and anyone in the vicinity. We now have to make sure we have an abundance of towels available to clear up after him. When it comes to bath time, Bo is brilliant. She is not overly fond of getting water in her eyes and we combat that using a bath time visor. Providing the visor is there for her to use, she generally sits quietly playing with her toy boats whilst we get on with the cleaning aspect.

7.30pm: Bed time for the kids. Bo goes up to bed and has a book read to her, and baby boy has the last bottle of the day and generally drifts off in my arms. Once both children are down, we either spend time either with each other or on our own projects - with the aim of giving us both a sense of sanity and a break. However, what usually happens is that we fall asleep on the sofa before we get to start anything significantly, or we cannot motivate ourselves to do anything depending on how tired we are.

10pm: Tends to be bed time for us. I don't know how quickly others found themselves being able to stay up later but I can definitely not. 10pm is late enough for me and helps me to make sure I have enough sleep, ready for the next day.

As with all schedules, this does tend to fluctuate slightly depending upon what has happened that day. The smallest thing, like having to stop to get some petrol on the way home or finishing work slightly late, can throw the entire evening off and end up with us all going to bed much later than planned. 

How does this compare to your day to day life? Do you have any tips for how to make life more efficient and less manic? If so, please let me know in the comments section below - I'm always looking for new ideas!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Gosh, and there was me thinking I had a busy day! I bet it's all so worth it thought <3

    Kisses and Love
    Jazziepickles xoxo

    ReplyDelete